Our September 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at Brazil as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 62.94m tonnes.
- 41% of aviation emissions in September 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in September 2023, when compared with September 2022 were Hong Kong (+234%) and Republic of Korea (+57%).
- Six markets (India, Turkey, Mexico, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Greece) out of the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in September 2023 above September 2019 levels.
Spotlight on Brazil – the 15th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in September 2023.
- In September 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from Brazil were estimated at 1.13m tonnes, 10% below pre pandemic levels in September 2019.
- Currently zero aviation emissions from Brazil are covered by any compliance programme; it is envisaged that Brazil will join CORSIA in 2027.
- LATAM Airlines Brasil is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from Brazil over the past 12 months, followed by Azul and Gol.
- 9 out of the 10 most efficient routes operated from Brazil in September 2023 were by Azul according to RDC’s CARE Index.