Our June 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at United Arab Emirates as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 62.07m tonnes.
- 41% of aviation emissions in June 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in June 2023, when compared with May 2022 were Republic of Korea (+102%), Thailand (+81%) and Japan (+59%).
- Seven markets (India, Turkey, Brazil, Mexico, Qatar, Vietnam and Greece) out of the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in June 2023 above June 2019 levels.
Spotlight on United Arab Emirates – the 7th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in June 2023.
- In June 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from United Arab Emirates were estimated at 1.71m tonnes, 9% below pre pandemic levels in June 2019.
- 68% of aviation emissions from United Arab Emirates were covered by the CORSIA compliance scheme in June 2023.
- Emirates is the largest source of aviation emissions from United Arab Emirates over the past 12 months, followed by Etihad Airways and flydubai.
- According to the RDC care index, Wizz Air operated the ten most efficient routes from United Arab Emirates in June 2023.