Our February 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at United States as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 49.79m tonnes.
- 37% of aviation emissions in February 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in February 2023, when compared with February 2022 were Thailand (+143%), Republic of Korea (+114%) and Australia (+110%).
- Four markets (Turkey, India, Mexico and Saudi Arabia) in the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in February 2023 above February 2019 levels.
Spotlight on United States – the largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in February 2023.
- In February 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from United States were estimated at 11.86m tonnes, 7% below pre pandemic levels in February 2019.
- Just 26% of these aviation emissions in February 2023 from United States were covered by the CORSIA compliance schemes.
- Domestic services are by far the largest contributor to United States aviation emissions, followed by Intra-continental.
- American Airlines is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from the US market over the past 12 months, followed by Delta Air Lines and United Airlines.