Our August 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at Ireland as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 67.33m tonnes.
- 41% of aviation emissions in August 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in August 2023, when compared with August 2022 were Republic of Korea (+57%) and Thailand (+52%).
- Five markets (India, Turkey, Qatar, Greece and Vietnam) out of the 25 largest emitting markets saw aviation emissions in August 2023 above August 2019 levels.
Spotlight on Ireland – the 38th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in August 2023.
- In August 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from Ireland were estimated at 0.27m tonnes, 9% below pre pandemic levels in August 2019.
- 96% of aviation emissions from Ireland were covered by the CORSIA and EU ETS compliance schemes in August 2023.
- Aer Lingus is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from Ireland over the past 12 months, followed by Ryanair.
- The 10 most efficient routes operated from Ireland in August 2023 were by Ryanair Holdings plc according to RDC’s CARE Index.