Our April 2023 Aviation Emissions Report looks at global passenger related aviation emissions, with a specific focus on the 25 largest markets by total aviation emissions.
This month we look at Canada as our focus country.
Highlights from this month’s report include:
- Total global passenger-related aviation emissions estimated at 57.56m tonnes.
- 39.5% of aviation emissions in April 2023 were covered by a compliance programme such as CORSIA or EU ETS.
- The largest growth rates in the 25 largest emitting markets in April 2023, when compared with April 2022 were Republic of Korea (+132%), Malaysia (+106%) and Thailand (+98%).
- India, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Mexico are the only markets in the 25 largest emitting markets with aviation emissions in April 2023 above April 2019 levels.
Spotlight on Canada – the 11th largest source of passenger related aviation emissions in April 2023.
- In April 2023, passenger related aviation emissions from Canada were estimated at 1.21m tonnes, 16% below pre pandemic levels in April 2019.
- 56% of these aviation emissions in April 2023 from Canada were covered by the CORSIA compliance scheme. Inter-continental services are by far the largest contributor to Canada’s aviation emissions, followed by domestic services.
- Air Canada is the largest emitter of aviation emissions from Canada over the past 12 months, followed by WestJet.